Helping Victims of Personal Injury Pursue Compensation in Alabama
Do you need a personal injury lawyer to represent you? When you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you are entitled to compensation from those responsible.
It is usually the guilty party’s insurance provider that is responsible for paying out; unfortunately, these companies are usually more concerned with protecting their business interests than helping you. You will need a skilled lawyer to help you obtain the full compensation that you are owed.
The personal injury lawyers at Loftin, Loftin & May in Phenix City are prepared to fight on behalf of victims of car accidents and other injuries. We can help you find out what your case is actually worth — beyond the initial sum the insurance company may have offered you. Our legal team proudly serves clients around the Columbus, GA area.
Many of our clients were injured in car accidents. Insurance companies are called on to pay for these accidents on a daily basis, and they have learned various ways to underpay the victims. One major benefit of hiring an injury attorney is that we can deal with the insurance company for you.
Many insurance providers will try offering small payouts upfront to avoid paying what you are actually owed. It is important that you receive the full value of what your case is worth so that you have ample funds to pay for medical bills and other recovery expenses.
Alabama's Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
In Alabama victims of personal injury may file a lawsuit up to two years after the date of your injury. If you do not file your lawsuit within this time, your case will most likely be dismissed and you will be unable to pursue compensation. A statute of limitations is a law that dictates how long after your accident you are allowed to filing a lawsuit against the responsible party. Don't delay! Contact Loftin, Loftin & May today to get started!
What Are Damages in a Personal Injury Case?
In a personal injury claim, damages refer to the monetary compensation that an injured party may be entitled to receive from the at-fault party or their insurance company. The purpose of these damages is to compensate the victim for the losses and hardships they have endured due to the injury. The types of damages that can be recovered in a personal injury claim typically fall into two categories: economic and non-economic damages.
These are tangible and quantifiable losses that have a direct financial impact. They may include:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation for past and future medical bills, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medications, rehabilitation, ect.
- Lost Wages: Reimbursement for the income lost during the recovery period or due to the inability to work in the future.
- Property Damage: Compensation for damage to the victim's vehicle or other personal property.
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: This covers any other verifiable expenses incurred as a result of the injury, such as travel costs for medical treatment.
These are more subjective and challenging to quantify as they address the intangible losses and emotional impact of the injury. They may include:
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, anxiety, and reduced quality of life.
- Emotional Distress: Payment for the psychological trauma resulting from the accident and its aftermath.
In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded. However, these are not often awarded as they are not meant to compensate the victim but rather to punish the at-fault party for egregious behavior and to deter others from similar actions.
The amount of compensation awarded for each type of damage will vary depending on the circumstances of the case, the severity of the injury, and the strength of the evidence presented.
Cases We Handle
Our personal injury law firm can help with the following cases:
- Car accidents - Car accidents occur every single day in the United States and oftentimes are a direct result of negligence. While not every injury is severe, most require medical attention and can result in large hospital bills. You shouldn't have to face the financial consequences on your own, especially if the accident wasn't your fault.
- Truck accidents - Trucking accidents often result in serious or catastrophic injuries; sometimes even the death of a loved one. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a trucking accident in Alabama, our personal injury lawyers are here to help.
- Motorcycle accidents- Similar to truck accidents, motorcycle accidents are often the cause of serious injuries, including traumatic brain injuries. These life-altering injuries can also result in many unforeseen expenses. Our injury lawyers can help you get the compensation you need so you can focus on recovery and rehabilitation.
- Slip & fall accidents- These types of injuries often occur on premises that are not properly maintained. If you have been injured as a result of someone else's failure to exercise proper care of their facilities, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries.
- Bicycle accidents - Hit by a vehicle while riding your bicycle? If your accident was caused by the drivers' negligence, you deserve justice. Cyclists have rights to the road and it is the responsibility of motorists to exercise care when sharing the road with them.
- Workers’ compensation- Injured on the job? Our injury attorneys in Phenix City can help you file a claim, or pursue an appeal if your claim has been denied.
You will want to contact a Phenix City injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident so that they have ample time to investigate the details while the events are fresh in everyone’s minds.
- While filing a personal injury claim can be complicated, with the proper guidance, you can make it through and obtain the compensation and justice you deserve.
- Step 1 - Consult with a professional personal injury attorney and provide information related to your accident, claim, and medical records following your injury.
- Step 2 - Decide on a settlement amount with the help of your lawyer (this usually occurs once you have reached maximum medical improvement following your accident). Your attorney will then file your claim with the court, beginning the litigation phase of the process.
- Step 3 - Next is the discovery phase, during which your lawyer and the defendant's will request information from one another and work on building their cases. If you are able to reach a settlement agreement, your case will be resolved here without having to go to trial.
- Step 4 - If you and your attorney are unable to reach a favorable settlement with the defendant, you will continue on to trial and present your case before a judge.
Outstanding Client Communication
Loftin, Loftin & May prides ourselves on our response rates and accessibility to our clients. We are here for our clients and their families when they need us most.
Over 55 Years of Combined Experience
We are one of the largest and most experienced firms in the area. No matter your legal problem, our team of attorneys can assist.
Free Consultations & Reasonable Rates
With Loftin, Loftin & May, your initial meeting with an attorney is always free for bankruptcy and personal injury. We also offer affordable consultation fees for family law matters.